Chitika

Friday 3 June 2011

Shampoo - Day 27.

Well, I can imagine that many of you are starting to think that my hair must be really gross by now.  I guess that would depend on how well you know me, because I think those of you that know me know that I probably wouldn't do this if my hair looked gross.  For those of you that don't know me, I imagine that you think that I'm one of those "dirty hippies" that don't wash their hair and smell a little "off".  I am not saying that in a negative way about anyone, that just seems to be the thinking of some people when it comes to people that don't use shampoo.  Well, I'm happy to say that as far as I can tell, my hair smells fine.  And yes, I still have Tim smell it to make sure everything is okay.  I don't like to take chances!  Maybe in another month I'll stop asking him to do that...

My hair is great and I'm just using water every day.  It has been three weeks today since the last time I used baking soda.  I don't use any apple cider vinegar rinses, corn starch, or anything else, for that matter.  I just wash it in hot water, massaging my scalp, then at the end of the shower, blast it with pretty cold water.  I blow it dry most days, but I always did that.  It feels soft, it has more body, and it looks really healthy.  Sometimes I sort of wish I could use some gel or hairspray, but since I can't, I just deal with it.  When I curl it using hot rollers it usually has lots of body and looks great at first, but then the curls settle into softer waves by the end of the day.  Those are the days I wish I could use gel, because I figure it may extend the awesome part at the beginning where my curls are tight and bouncy.

I'm getting married at the end of the month and I'm trying to figure out how I'm going to style my hair, because I would like it to at least look like I thought I was getting married that day and actually put some effort into my hair.  I contacted a couple places near where our wedding is going to be, and it just didn't seem worth it to pay all that extra money for them to do my hair.  They were surprisingly un-surprised when I told them I don't use shampoo, conditioner, gel or hairspray, and it seemed like that was a lot more normal where they are (around Sechelt, British Columbia).  There's very little chance I can achieve anything approximating full "wedding hair" without gel or hairspray, and that kind of hairdo is really a bit much for our wedding.  I think I might just straighten it with a round brush and hope for the best.  We'll see.  I may have to make a game day decision...

2 comments:

  1. I laughed out loud when you said that your goal for your wedding hair is "to at least look like I thought I was getting married that day". That's awesome!

    After trying the no poo method, I have found that I have to 'wash" (aka rinse) my hair much more often. I used to wash my hair once or twice a week, but without anything baking soda or shampoo, my hair starts to smell, like, well, head after just a couple days. So my question is, do you wet and blowdry your hair every day?

    ReplyDelete
  2. the bar is set pretty low with me and my hair, i've gotta say! i actually got my dress in the mail and tried it on, it looks alright. i'm sure it will be good enough for pictures!

    as for no poo-ing (haha, it never gets old), i rinse it every day and blow it dry most days (for sure on work days). i really can't go two days in a row without a rinse of any sort, but i never could before, either, so i'm alright with that. i did have two days in a row where i decided not to rinse on day two because i had curled it the day before and it was all wavy and pretty, but after the rinse the next morning, it was terrible. but i also had oil on my hands from a body scrub that i had made, so it transferred to my hair. not good.

    i'm hoping that as my hair adjusts to no poo that i will eventually be able to go without a rinse at all on some days, but truth be told, since i don't use baking soda or apple cider vinegar and i WOULD shower every day regardless, i can live with it the way it is if that isn't going to work. judging from the past four weeks of not using shampoo, my hair and scalp are pretty good at dealing with whatever i throw at them, so i'm optimistic about where i can go with it. but for now i don't want to mess with it too much because i don't want to throw everything off right before the wedding and have grease-ball granola pictures to treasure for posterity...

    ReplyDelete