Chitika

Monday 25 April 2011

Homemade ice cream.

It is the weekend, which means that as usual, I must make ice cream to use up any extra cream and milk we have hanging around.  Today I made Skor ice cream, which is really my favourite, so I make it a lot.  It takes about five minutes to make, but it always turns out perfectly, and it's (mostly) organic - there is no such thing as organic Skor bits, apparently.  But everything else is organic and it's a great way to get some use out of the cream you would otherwise have to throw away. It has been about a year since I've thrown away any cream or milk, since that's when Tim got me the ice cream maker!

First, I threw all of the expiring milk and cream into a bowl.  I had about a cup of cereal cream (10% milk fat), two cups of skim milk and a cup of whipping cream.  I added half a cup of organic cane sugar and a tablespoon of vanilla. I then blended the mixture for about two minutes to dissolve the sugar.

Then, I put the mixture into the ice cream maker.
I allowed it to churn for a few minutes and then added some Skor bits.  I like to put some in early to dissolve into the base, then I add more at the end for some crunch!
Then, I transfer the semi-frozen ice cream into a freezer-safe container, and wait a few hours until it's fully frozen.  Fresh, organic ice cream!

No comments:

Post a Comment