Chitika

Sunday 17 April 2011

Extra buttermilk.

Tim and I returned home after grocery shopping for a fun morning of baking and preparing foods for the week.  I bought a fairly large carton of buttermilk yesterday because there were no smaller sizes, so I knew I would have a lot of buttermilk to use up, so most of the foods I prepared incorporate it somehow.  I made a small batch of buttermilk waffle batter and Tim made the waffles and then I started preparing the foods for the week that we would need.  I made Tim loads of both lemonade and some pure limeade (the many bottles on the right side of the shelf, our small army of juices):
For the limeade I combined the juice of three limes with 1/3 cup of sugar and three cups of water.

I then made our salad dressings for the week: noosh (nutritional yeast) dressing for me and ranch for Tim, and of course stored them in our 1/2 litre glass milk bottles:

Then I made some very special buttermilk ice cream using a couple cups of buttermilk (what was left over in the container, which was probably realistically only 1 1/2 cups), 1 1/2 cups of cream, 1/2 cup of sugar, two tablespoons of lemon juice and the zest of a whole lemon.  As I was transferring the finished ice cream to the container, I couldn't help but have a little sample, and it has a really a nice taste.  Almost a little savoury, but then very creamy (buttermilk) and refreshing (lemon and zest).  I don't often cook with buttermilk, but I always enjoy it, so I think I'm going to start using it more often.  I may have to do a follow up and let you know what I think of the ice cream once I've had a chance to really dig in.

No comments:

Post a Comment