Chitika

Thursday 22 September 2011

Harvest box.

If you enjoy cooking your own food I would heartily recommend doing a Google search for "community supported agriculture" and "[your city]".  I had never heard of this before, but what community supported agriculture is, is the cheapest and most likely the easiest, way to guarantee that you are going to receive local organic food regularly.  I can't guarantee that you are going to receive only the vegetables that you already use and love (as a matter of fact, I can foresee that you probably won't!), but I don't look at that as much of a problem.  I'll explain.

First of all, as you may remember, I am a vegan.  This means I should at least attempt to make friends with most vegetables.  I do love vegetables, but I admit, I tend to stick to the same handful of vegetables every week (lettuce, bell peppers, cucumber, kale, onion, shallot, green onion, broccoli).  There are also a number of fruits that we buy regularly (and beans and legumes, so don't worry, we're eating enough!), but still, I think that we could be eating significantly more vegetables than we have been.

Also, when I go to the grocery store, I'm not as conscious as I should be about buying local.  Particularly when I go somewhere like Whole Foods, that always has a mind-blowing array of different veggies, I tend to go a little crazy!  So it is nice to have someone else do the thinking for me.  It's great to support local farmers.  CSA provides farmers with a regular and predictable source of income.

So today, for $20, we got a box with the following:

  • large golden beet (and tops)
  • red beet (and tops)
  • two yellow onions
  • three pattypan squash
  • seven carrots, with tops
  • bunch of black kale
and:
Rapini!

So my plan tomorrow night is to make some sauteed beet tops with onion and garlic and a shredded beet and carrot salad.  Stand by for recipes and pictures tomorrow night!

No comments:

Post a Comment