Chitika

Sunday 4 September 2011

Spinach goma ae.

Mmmmm. Spinach goma ae.

I often remark that my food cravings, of which I have been known to have many, must be indicative of some sort of a deficiency.  If it's not kale chips, or fresh figs, or pomegranates, it's always going to be something.  Sometimes it's not the healthy foods that I crave, but luckily I have been craving good-for-me foods recently. Today (and this past week), I have been craving spinach goma ae, a popular blanched spinach dish served in sushi restaurants.

To make the spinach goma ae, I purchased a large container of organic spinach from the grocery store.  I brought a pot of water to a boil then put half of the container in the boiling water for 30 seconds then poured it into a strainer, rinsed it in cold water, then placed it back in the pot and filled the pot with cold water to let it sit while I made the sauce.
For the sauce, I mixed 1 tbsp of sugar, 1 tbsp of miso paste, 1 tbsp of tahini, 1 tbsp of rice wine vinegar (weird, I know, but I didn't have any mirin or cooking sake, so it was the best I could do), and 1 tbsp of soy.  I whisked this together and it made about twice as much as I needed.

To put it all together, I strained the cold water off of the spinach, then grabbed the spinach by handfuls and pressed the water out.  I put them in a bowl, poured the dressing on, and enjoyed!  Best part: it completely satisfied my craving for spinach, AND it only took ten minutes to make!

1 comment: