Chitika

Tuesday 10 May 2011

Environmental designations.

I don't know what happened to me, but I will admit that until about a year ago, I was a begrudging recycler, not to mention all the other things that I would never even have considered until fairly recently.  Being eco-conscious is one of those things... either you get it or you don't.  Or maybe you just start to get it a little too much and feel helpless/hopeless.  I think I used to be there.  I'm working on it.  Trying helps.

So I didn't use to be environmentally conscious, but I am so impressed to find that now that I am, I have so many amazing friends that have been this way (or even more proactive) for years.  I would like to give a shout out to my friend, Julie Gerhardt, who is one of those people.

Julie and I have known each other since being in the same sixth grade class.  We went to boarding school together for three of those years and have kept in touch since heading to college.  She is gorgeous, witty and brilliant, and so much so that I can't actually tell you which of those characteristics is the most impressive.  In other words, she is amazing in every way.  I'm sure I've left out a few of the incredible things about this woman.  All I can say is that I truly admire her and I am lucky to call her my friend.

I am so proud of Julie for many reasons, but today I am particularly proud of her as she just found out that she received her Environmental Professional designation in both Health and Safety and Policy and Legislation.  She is the first employee at the City of Calgary that has obtained this designation in Policy and Legislation.  You cannot receive this designation unless you have been working for eight years in the field.  So Julie has been dedicating her life since she was 22 to the environment.  Amazing. Truly inspirational.  Congratulations Julie!

No comments:

Post a Comment