Chitika

Sunday 1 May 2011

Guacamole.

Not to brag (you know what's coming!) but I make the best homemade guacamole.  I personally prefer any homemade guac to any store-bought guac.  It is so amazing and so terrific for your health.  I started making our own guacamole from a recipe about a year ago and have been making it every few weeks since, gradually perfecting my recipe to the point that I now make it without using a recipe and experiment a bit when I make it to try different things.  Regardless of what I put in, it always turns out fantastic.  Here are the ingredients I now use (the way I make it is slightly different than the recipe I started out using):

  • 1 avocado (soft but not mushy)
  • 4 Roma tomatoes (cores and seeds removed)
  • three pinches of sea salt
  • 1 1/2 tbsp of freeze-dried cilantro (I used to use fresh but then ended up throwing away too much of it, so got a container of freeze-dried cilantro that works perfectly in this recipe)
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • 1 shallot, diced (you can use red or white onions, but only use a small amount, otherwise it will be overpowering, shallots are the only type of onion I cook with anymore)
  • 1 1/2 to 2 tbsp minced garlic (the kind in a jar packed in oil, probably less when I use fresh minced garlic)
I process everything except for the avocado in a small food processor until the chunks of tomato are the size I prefer.  Then I put them and the avocado in a large bowl and use a potato masher to mash everything together.  Refrigerate for an hour before eating to allow the flavours to combine and enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment