Chitika

Tuesday 17 May 2011

Whey lemonade.

This morning I wanted to get rid of the whey that was leftover from when I made paneer, so I decided to try something that is popular in India: whey lemonade.  Essentially you just make lemonade with whey instead of water.  When it comes to the whey leftover from making paneer there are fewer options for ways to use it up than the whey that is a by-product of other cheese production (due to the use of an acid to curdle the milk), so I'm really at the point where I'm willing to try anything.  I've heard that many people love this drink, so despite my trepidation, I thought I would give it a shot.

First things first: if you are a person that mentally can't adjust to the idea of drinking pretty much pure whey, don't even bother.  I'm fairly good with those sorts of things, but the thought of drinking goat whey (I had used goat milk to make my paneer) definitely started me out behind the eight ball. Still, I powered through.  If you're going to give this excess whey solution a go, here's what to expect... flat San Pellegrino Limonata Sparkling Beverage.  That's exactly what it tastes like to me.  It is not necessarily unpleasant, but as you are drinking (i.e. as the fluid is actually passing over your tongue), it seems very salty.  The smell and the aftertaste are both delicious.  But as you're drinking... salty.  I'm not sure I've ever had a drink that seemed salty like this (maybe Perrier, but you don't notice as much because of the bubbles).  It was interesting, and I'm glad that I tried it (particularly because I REALLY wanted to use up the rest of my whey before it went bad) but I think I'm going to keep searching for a better use for the leftover whey from my paneer.  Next time I make it I will definitely be using most of the whey in the making of the rice, as it can apparently be substituted for the water normally used.

No comments:

Post a Comment