Chitika

Wednesday 18 May 2011

Facial scrub.

I'm always on the lookout for a recipe for a good facial scrub, and sometimes it gets me in trouble.  Yesterday I was looking around at some "no-poo" resources and came across someone that mentioned she uses honey for a facial wash.  I thought of that for a bit and it sounded like a good idea, so I did some searching to see if I could find any honey-based facial scrub recipes.  You see, honey is antibacterial, so is surprisingly good for the skin.  It is also apparently quite hydrating.



I came across the perfect recipe.  It used honey and baking soda.  I thought the baking soda was an excellent addition as it not only adds just the right amount of grittiness to the scrub, but baking soda has lots of beneficial effects on skin and can actually be used as a substitute either by itself or in combination with other substances in your skin care regime (check out this article for more information).  Two surprising conditions that can be treated by the use of baking soda are eczema and acne. Of course I'm sure that just like hair, everyone's skin is different and responds to a different regime.



So I made my scrub by squeezing 1 tbsp of normal liquid honey into my palm and then pouring 1 tsp of baking soda on top.  I then mixed in with my finger and then smeared (literally) it on my face.  I got some in my hair almost immediately, so a word to the wise: make sure to pull your hair back before you start.  I then rubbed the goo around on my face for a minute or two and then washed it off very carefully.  I think this is something that would have worked better in the shower, but overall, I am very pleased with the results.  Last night and this morning my skin if very soft and smooth.  I still have the remnants of a breakout that started last week, but my skin otherwise looks really nice and very bright.

The mask itself goes on very sticky so I'm thinking that I may try adding a little bit of water (I know when baking, if you do a honey wash it takes the gooeyness out of the honey, so maybe a couple drops of water might make it a bit better).  The recipe I was going from actually asked for raw organic honey, which we do have in the house, but I didn't use for some reason.  This also may have worked out better.  I will do another post once I firm up the recipe.  In the meantime, even the recipe I did use worked very well, so don't hesitate to try it if you're interested!

No comments:

Post a Comment