Chitika

Wednesday 18 May 2011

Mango lassi ice cream.

Technically it is mango lassi ice buttermilk, but you get my point, I'm sure.  I bought a litre of cultured buttermilk this past weekend because we were going to make Indian food and I was craving a lassi.  Specifically, a mango lassi.  So I also obtained a mango and hoped for the best.  If you read my entries for Sunday, I was pretty busy with other things, so decided not to make lassis, but of course I still wanted to use up both the buttermilk and the mango, neither of which are popular in our home on their own (although I did enjoy the buttermilk ice cream I made.  I decided to Google mango lassi ice cream and lots of people liked it, but after checking out the various recipes, I thought I would just make a mango lassi, then freeze it into ice cream.  It is both simpler and I figured more "true" to the taste of a real lassi.

So here's what I used:

  • 1 ripe organic mango
  • 1 and 1/2 cups organic buttermilk
  • 1/3 cup organic cane sugar
I figured out how to get the flesh off of the mango (uggh), then pureed everything in a blender until it was very well blended.  I tasted it and it was delicious.  It could have had more mango and still been delicious, but I was quite happy with the results.
If only I had another mango, I could have made one lassi to drink and one to use for the ice cream!
I love the taste of mango lassis, they are both tangy and sweet, perfectly refreshing.  The ice cream version is much the same, but colder!

No comments:

Post a Comment